Video chats in today’s information era have become integral to daily life, be it to build social communities, sell products, connect with family, or establish a virtual connection in healthcare, they have upped their game in every sector.
And honestly speaking, to include this real-time video calling feature in any chat app, a video API does wonders. As by doing so, lightens the hardship in building an application from the start.
Regardless of the industry, video APIs are in great demand.
What is a video API?
Video APIs (Video Application Programming Interfaces) are software intermediaries that lets you add specific functionalities to your video apps without the need for plugins. They can be integrated into any web and mobile apps to build exceptional audio and video user experiences.
Usually, a video API empowers you to add features like group video calls, conference calls, live streaming, broadcasting, 1-to-1 chats, and others to the app. The details of which we will be seeing in the article below.
We saw what an API could do, imagine if you aren’t using a video API? What would happen?
Why should you use Video API for your Business?
An API in hand is as simple as ABC! True, because using a readymade video API is free to start, an individual developer is sufficient, can be integrated in minutes, easy to scale, and the list goes on.
Whereas, building a video chat app from the very beginning is practically difficult though some businesses might find it appealing.
But, get awe-struck with the benefits of a video API:
- Implementation happens in minutes or could stretch to 2 to 3 days.
- APIs have the ability to scale as per the business traffic.
- Reduced infrastructure costs, hosting costs, maintenance costs, and salaries of personnel.
- Comes with full security and GDPR compliance. Some come with HIPAA compliances too.
- API providers give added benefits along with codes, well-written documentation, and tech support.
- Video APIs can be used to develop any use case.
- They are completely flexible, reliable, and secure.
- Supports cross-platform integration that lets developers add video functionalities to any website, desktop app, mobile device, or any other platform.
- Include advanced features like virtual backgrounds, theme, fonts, noise cancellations, and moderations to your video chat app.
Well, the list above explains a few of the benefits of video chat APIs that help in boosting app engagement.
Features of a Video API
Here are a few features that video API offers to create a deeper and more personalized connection, starting from:
- 1-to-1 Direct and Group Video Calls – Dial a number to indulge in a one-to-one or many-to-many private chat.
- Video Conferencing – Lets multiple users connect with others in a single video call.
- Video Frame Capture – All the images captured via front and back cameras are displayed at a specific frame rate frequency for better video experiences. This frame rate frequency is expressed in FPS (frames per second)
- Secure File Sharing – Share files and other media securely during a video chat.
- Call Recording – Allows users in any channels or groups to record conversations for future use.
- Switch to Video Calls – Participants can switch back and forth from HD voice call to high resolution video calls during an ongoing session.
- Call Reconnecting – Call gets reconnected automatically when disconnected due to network issues.
- Low Latency – Streams data with maximum quality and without any delay.
- Call History – Users can keep a track of all the video calls made to-date using the search feature.
- Call Muting – Gives the privilege to the host to mute other users during a live video session.
- Incoming Call Notification – Users will be notified when a video call is received or missed.
- Metrics and Analytics – Learn how the app performs by measuring the number of active online users, offline participants, clicks, downloads, files transferred, session length, and more.
Now, that we have learnt the different use cases a video API caters to. It’s time to see which API best suits your business.
Factors To Consider When Choosing A Video API
It’s a key requirement that you be clear about the pros and cons of using a video chat API, what important parameters to consider when opting for one, and their pricing levels. Below, we have discussed a few criteria leaving the other two for your homework.
We know that each web browser and mobile platform is different and so, it is required that the API you choose should be compatible to operate on the web, Android, and iOS platforms.
Usually, video APIs are built on top of the standard WebRTC technology that allows streaming of real-time video across different browsers without a need for plugins..
It is a major factor to consider when choosing a video API. At the onset, they must provide security standards like E2E encryption, AES encryption, and SSO credibility. And, there could be cases where APIs can be hacked. To avoid such a case, APIs should come in full compliance with GDPR and HIPAA to prevent any type of data breach.
From the outset, it is clear that businesses that offer live streaming look out for a way to manage their call bandwidth. And integrating a flexible video call SDK to a video chat can handle the bandwidth of a call and provide quality calls too.
UI and Design Layouts
Traditional or older APIs require developers to create a video-calling user interface. At the best, some offer kits that have not necessarily gone through testing and feedback cycles. Whereas, a full-featured video API gives you a drag-drop widget option taking care of the entire app’s UI. Along with this, they also let you do customizations.
Multi-tenancy mode helps prevent security-breach of data. When this mode is configured, users assigned to a team can connect and converse with users of the same team in their respective channels. They will not be able to connect with teams that they are not aligned with.
Well, here we are, at the end of the article. Hoping that this piece of information will help you kick-start your journey toward finding the best video API and SDK in the market. If you are still clueless about where to start, maybe this article would help you.
Before you wave, remember that an API should help your team hit their goals collaboratively. And, do not forget to check about the pricing options, because pennies are hard-earned!
Like our blog post? Write to us about what you felt was best or what could have been included.
You can also try out our platform and test all of our video chat features. No sign-up fees or credit cards are required.
Hi my product is based on CRM work flow management and I want a app for my android and ios video api with 1-to-1 and group voice/video call..
I have to build an video app for both android and iOS. I want to have a look at your video API demo?
Hi Team, I have a team and i want to have a testing for video api to build my own android app for healthcare communication.
Hi team, I want to make an app for travel ticket booking, My requirement is i need to develop an video app with webrtc. Let me know how to use your video API
We are a production company based out of chennaI and we are looking for an webrtc video call app. We would like to know more about your video API pricing and other commercial details from your team.
We are looking for a video app using webrtc for our website. We are a tutoring agency and the service would be for communication between studends and faculities. Could you please share your video API details. Thanks
Hi Team, Looks for subscription based Video Call API
We are looking for a digital solution to unify WhatsApp & Instagram chats as well as out e-commerce platforms when launched, we need to know two main aspects that are affecting our choice of digital solutions: 1) Does your video api support Arabic language? 2) Does it support communications about medicine? as we are a pharmacy dealing with both medical and beauty items.
Hi Myself Sachin. I am a Software Enginner, also a youtuber. I am looking for a free developer account to use a chat & video api, which i will use in my videos at my youtube channel to demonstrate how to make apps like insta or whatsapp . Can you provide me a developer account with your SDK features, I can mention about Your SDK as well in my video . Let me know if can be used. Thanks .
We are looking for an alternative of video api and sdk for my e-learning mobile app (Android & iOS)